Featured post

SCS research and awards news

For all our research and awards news, please visit our news page.

Wednesday 18 February 2015

ECR profile - David Scott

Dr David Scott
Can you explain your research? 

I’m an exercise scientist and I conduct clinical research on “sarcopenia”, which is the term we use to describe the decline in skeletal muscle mass and function that occurs during ageing. Loss of muscle quality is a concern because it can contribute to many poor health outcomes in older adults, and I’m particularly interested in associations with disability, fractures, and obesity. Prof. Peter Ebeling and I are currently focusing on a specific component of muscle quality that has been under-investigated; inter- and intra-muscular adipose tissue (IMAT). As we age, our muscles develop a “Wagyu beef” appearance and this significantly compromises the ability of the muscle to produce force, and also causes inflammation and insulin resistance. We are investigating the role of vitamin D supplementation and exercise training for reducing IMAT and improving physical function and cardiometabolic health in older adults. It’s my aim to develop interventions which improve body composition and muscle function in older adults, allowing them to maintain their independence and quality of life.

When you were young, what did you want to be when you grew up?

I always dreamt of being a football player but realised in my early teen’s that the ambition outweighed the ability! At that point, exercise science seemed like a good alternative.

What do you enjoy doing outside work?

I’m a huge sports fan so I spend too much time watching AFL, cricket, basketball, soccer, ice hockey etc. I no longer play any sports but enjoy running and cycling as often as possible. The time available for these activities has been curbed considerably with the arrival of our first child (Sophie, age 10 months) but playing with her is hugely enjoyable and I’m also using this time to work on developing her into a sporting prodigy. We’ve made great progress with her throwing technique although this makes for a lot of mess at dinner time.

Something your work colleagues probably don’t know about you?

I’m a proud Tasmanian (and I’ve heard all the jokes). 

No comments:

Post a Comment